It’s Eid al-Adha which means we have lots of meat, instead of doing BBQ on day 1 of Eid I decided to made Deep Dish Pizza cos Deep Dish Pizza at Sobremesa was total disappointment.
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons active dry yeast
3 tablespoons cornmeal
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons Butter
1 cup water
2 tablespoons Butter
1 small (1/2 cup) onion, chopped
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh garlic
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1 can tomato sauce
1 can tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
500 grams Italian sausage, cooked, cooled, crumbled
18 to 24 slices pepperoni
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 170ºF. Turn off oven.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, yeast, cornmeal, sugar and salt in bowl. Melt 6 tablespoons butter in saucepan. Add water; cook until mixture comes to 120-130ºF. Add to flour mixture; mix until just moistened. Add remaining 2 cups flour to form stiff dough.
- Knead dough on lightly floured surface 5-7 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Spray inside of bowl with no-stick cooking spray. Place dough into bowl; turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap; place in oven. Let rise 30 minutes or until double in size.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in saucepan over medium-low heat just until sizzling. Add onions; cook 4-5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic; cook 1-2 minutes. Add all remaining sauce ingredients; cook until bubbles begun to form at surface. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Remove dough from oven. Heat oven to 450ºF.
- Punch down dough; divide in half. Roll each half into 11 inch circle on floured surface. Spray 2 (9-inch) spring form pans with no-stick cooking spray. Press dough into bottom and up sides of pans. Sprinkle 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese over bottom of each pan. Layer each with half of sauce (about 1 1/4 cups); 9 to 12 pepperoni slices and half of Italian sausage. Top each with 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Cover pans with aluminum foil; bake 30-40 minutes or until crust is browned. Uncover; bake 5-7 minutes or until cheese begins to brown. Remove from oven; let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting. Remove sides of pans; cut each pizza into 8 slices.